Instructional software is a general term for computer programs designed to deliver instruction or assist with the delivery of instruction. There are five different types of instructional software: Drill and Practice, Tutorial, Simulation, Instructional Game, and Problem Solving. Teachers can use this software to motivate students to learn. Most students enjoy games and with instructional software teachers have a way to make learning a little bit more "fun!"
Drill and Practice
This type of instructional software helps students practice very structured problems. Students answer questions and get immediate feedback. Feedback can be as simple as "correct" or "incorrect."
Click on the following links for drill and practice websites:
Math Practice
A Plus Math
Tutorial
For students who learn by watching, tutorial software will be a great asset! This type of instructional software acts like a human tutor by providing all the information and instructional activities a leaner needs to master a topic.
Click on the following links for tutorial websites:
Khan Academy
Rapid Typing Zone
Simulation
Sometimes it is hard for teachers to teach their students about concepts in which they have no prior knowledge. I remember back to when I was in school... Of course I was required to dissect a frog. I recall my teacher telling me how to dissect a frog, but I remember being very confused once it came time to actually begin. With simulation software, teachers can take their students into the virtual world of almost any real or imaginary system. Simulation software models how these systems work and can demonstrate underlying concepts.
Click on the following links for simulation websites:
Learn 4 Good
Digital Frog
Instructional Games
What child doesn't like games?? I know my students love them! With instructional games teachers can increase motivation by adding game rules to drill or simulations.
Click on the following links for simulation websites:
Fun Brain
PBS Kids
Problem Solving
As a teacher, I try to help my students become problem solvers. They will not always have me around to help them with a problem therefore need to learn to think for themselves. Problem solving software teaches directly (through explanation and/or practice) the steps involved in solving problems. This software also helps learners acquire problem-solving skills by giving them opportunities to solve problems.
Click on the following link for a problem solving website:
Kids Math Games
No comments:
Post a Comment